Lawonda Umh
map-marker Rindge, New Hampshire

Well-stocked and trying to reduce plastic waste

Last visit (first week of March 2024) the store was clean and well-stocked. Hannaford tries to stock local products too! I appreciate Hannaford's efforts to reduce plastic (even though all stores of every type have way too much plastic packaging)! For years, Hannaford has encouraged reusable bags; they also have bins for recycling paper and flexible plastic...bravo!
Sarah D Xpe

| map-marker Sanford, Maine

Layout Needs Smarter Creators, Deceiving "save" signs, Cheap on Coupons/Discounts

Original review Jan 10, 2024

I'll start off with, Hannaford has some great varieties in certain areas and options for Organic, Vegan, Dairy Free which I appreciate a lot.

Most of the employees I've asked for help from have been kind for the most part, not always helpful, but kind.

Most of the locations I've gone to recently have been decent conditions cleanliness -wise.

AND

These are areas they could use improvement:

The floor layout is absolutely confusing. I'm a person that can use my brain, and have tried to understand their logic Many times as to why they put things where they do, and some of it just doesn't make sense, while other areas could be reorganized in a better way.

Examples of my quarries - am I the only one?!:

a) Why are the Organic Taco Spice packets in the Fruit section in produce?

b) Beyond that, if they want organic taco items with the fruit, fine, but why not put the organic options WITH the taco seasoning items in the spices isle Also?

c) They do this with the Organic Salsa as well.

There's 1 organic salsa in the isle with 30 other nonorganic salsas, but then if you go to the chip isle, you find 2 more organic salsas there (less expensive than the one in the salsa isle).

d) Why do they separate Organic items from all the other items? This causes SO much confusion for me mainly because

-it isn't consistent throughout the store. Some isles have their own organic sections and some products are simply mixed in with nonorganic items.

-the organic sections aren't labeled properly, so it's hard to know if they even exist, or if that item isn't available in organic...this causes more time wasted searching the store.

To me it would make more sense just to add the organic items IN with the nonorganic items so the customer can see All their options together in one section.

e) Their sticker "SAVE" signs that are stuck below the regular price for the item are Misleading / Deceiving. They aren't "save because it's on sale", they are "save because they are "$" Less than the item next to it Seriously?

f) Coupon discounts for food are minimal and cheap.

Biggest $ making secret? Give more = support your customers in feeling more appreciated and catered to = get people to try out new things = make more in the end because more people are being introduced to a wider range of your offerings and buying more.

g) They don't have Any organic frozen broccoli, but have 2 huge shelves of Hannaford brand. Make some room and get your other brand in there.

h) The organic frozen vegetables options are minimal / could be improved.

I get it.

Most of this ridiculousness is due to the advertising for the brands and where they pay to have their items, what they pay to 'emphasize' their items to get them to stick out, and how to make the biggest buck. But it would be nicer if people would think more cohesively and approach things in a win:win:win mentality.

Pros:
  • Decent prices
  • Organic options
  • Nice employees
Cons:
  • Confusing layout and organization
  • Lacking variety for organic options in some genres
  • Misleading save signs

User's recommendation: Use the App / Online store to search for items and it will tell you where it is in the store

map-marker Oneonta, New York

Self checkouts

I shop at Hannaford in Oneonta, NY 13820, several times a month and spend a great deal of cash each time I shop.

I personally prefer using self-checkout as it saves me time, and, I can bag my items how I see fit. Two days ago I shopped there and again, I spent a great deal of money.

Unfortunately, it may very well have been my final time as a loyal customer at this store!!

What I don't appreciate is, every single time that I do self-checkout, there's ALWAYS an employee hovering around the self-checkout area. While I understand the necessity of this due to theft, I don't appreciate the woman who blatantly and obnoxiously stared me down while I was scanning my items. When I turned to look at her to see if she was in fact staring at ME, my look was returned with one of open hostility by a very unpleasant, angry and rude looking female employee. She openly singled me out in particular to be a shoplifter while there were 3 other people checking out at self-checkout at the same time, and she completely ignored those individuals.

She also kept walking back and forth behind me, standing closely behind me and looking over my shoulder. Not only that, but she was close enough that I could smell her perfume!

As many people who would rather go through a line with a cashier, wouldn't these employees be of better use by maybe opening up another register and thereby easing up some of the burden on the other cashiers that are trying to get people through their lines efficiently instead of harassing the customers at self-checkout?

I'm completely offended and enraged that for some reason only known to her, she singled me out to be a shoplifter!

After watching the actions of some of these employees every time I visit this store, I have found the majority of them to be rude, lazy and unhelpful. And, when approached and asking for help, I certainly don't expect to have their eyes rolled at me or a huge sigh like I've inconvenienced them in any way by asking them to do their job!

I find it utterly ridiculous that it seems as though they have NOTHING better to do in that store than to hover about and harrass their loyal customers who just want to get through the chore of having to do someones job for them by ringing up their own purchases, bagging them up, feeding the machine either money or plastic and making sure that the machine scanned every item correctly and gave the correct amount of change in return for cash payment.

Maybe some employee training seminars would be useful on how not to be hostile and single people out by how they look, or, how they dress, etc. to automatically assume that they are trying to shoplift.

To me, that SCREAMS discriminatory behavior and that is NEVER acceptable!

User's recommendation: Don't use self-checkout unless you don't mind being singled out for some reason to be a shoplifter by certain employees

SHERRY d Svy

HANNAFORD TO GO- PICK UP- VBEDFORD KILTON RD STORE

PLEASE BE ADVISED CUSTOMERS-HANNAFORD TO GO - "DELIVERY" SERVICE IS NOT DONE BY HANNAFORD- DELIVERY ORDERS ARE DONE BY INSICART AND THEIR EMPLOYEES NOT HANNARD STAFF!
Pros:
  • Great staff

Preferred solution: NOTHING

User's recommendation: HANNAFORD TO GO-USE PICK UP SERVICE ONLY!

Leo T Pgq
map-marker Manchester, New Hampshire

Not happy with Hannaford tea boxes

Picked up eight boxes of Hannaford tea orange pekoe and they were all filled with black tea ,,,whatever the boxes say should be what's in the box

Preferred solution: I just like to get what I think I'm buying don't know who's doing the boxing on these but they need retraining

map-marker Rutland, Vermont

The quality of the food is abysmal—everything is industrial, and it is impossible to find healthy options. Next to nothing is produced locally. Wine organized by grape, not terroir, so….

I prefer to drive two hours to Coop Food Stores in New Hampshire to find real food I actually feel good about buying. All the major chains are awful. Bad for your health, ban for the planetjust bad.

User's recommendation: Local food coops, farmers markets, farms, or drive the distance to visit Coop Food Stores. Aldi’s produce is as good as and much cheaper than Hannaford’s.

Herman B Fzk

| map-marker Bangor, Maine

Discrimination and violation of patient rights

Broadway pharmacy in Bangor Maine is repeatedly discriminating based on a specific medication I am prescribed, they are changing my prescription details without doctors or my permission and they have made multiple violations that I fully intend on bringing to suit. Im sick of being nice its gotten me nowhere.
Pros:
  • Good prices
Cons:
  • Pharmacy is very discriminatory

Preferred solution: I would like to be treated with respect and have my rights as a customer/patient respected

User's recommendation: Record all interactions with this pharmacy

Jen D Lct

| map-marker South Burlington, Vermont

Hannaford To Go Problems

Hannaford Supermarket - Hannaford To Go Problems
Original review Aug 01, 2023

I have been using Hannaford To Go for years now. The last time I used it, I got home and looked at my receipt to see if my $17 coupon had been applied.

They rarely include my receipt, but thankfully they did this time. Not only hadn't my coupon been applied, but they charged me a $10 delivery fee, $5 service fee (it should have been $1.99), and a whole bunch of stuff that I didn't order or receive was also on there. My order should have been around $83, but I was charged $188! I called them and all they could offer was a gift card.

I would have rather had my money back because that's a large charge on my credit card. So I wasn't happy about that, but for whatever reason they said they couldn't refund my credit card.

It took days to receive my gift card in the mail. When I finally received it, I decided to roll the dice on HTG again. Well, the website for HTG is not working.

I can add stuff to my cart, but every time I click on my cart, I get an error. This has been going on for over a week now. I called customer service, and they said there was a known error, and they didn't know when it would be resolved. What kind of customer service is that?

That was over a week ago, and it's still going on. I have tried clearing out my cache and history, I've tried different browsers, I've tried the app, I've logged out and logged back in, I've changed my password. I'm still getting the error. Worst of all, no one is getting back to me on a plan to fix this, so I can actually shop there with my useless gift card they sent me.

I am extremely disappointed in the lack of customer service and attention given to what seems to be a software glitch. You'd think they would want to fix it so people can use the service and shop there.

Loss:
Cons:
  • Htg is often unreliable
  • Htg website crashes often

Preferred solution: Full refund

map-marker Holden, Maine

Product out dated

brewer maine hannafords needs too rotate the produce i bought some florets and were best if used by 2 19 2024
map-marker Fryeburg, Maine

It has been 10 years best move I ever made

In 2014 I shopped at this store exclusively. I went bought lunch every day unless I was on the road I changed banks so I went in they know me very well. Went to check out won't except my check. They call some twenty year old to help no can't take starter checks ok I get it went back next week with my debit won't work here he comes again don't know left grocery in cart left and never went back.go

User's recommendation: Go to market basket or walmart

map-marker Clifton Park, New York

They violated my freedom of speech

I was talking to a fellow employee another employee overheard me we were talking about a movie he told me it sounds like a grouchy old man and I was racist I told him to mind his own business nobody was talking to you company found out and fired me

User's recommendation: If you don't like woke policies stay away

Jennifer g Kew
map-marker New Delhi, Delhi

U have a cashier at hannaford in auburn who is a *** her name is Cathy who's on reg 5 I will not go to her anymore more she made me feel like a piece of shit,she is rude

I am so tired of her attitude she's has had so many complaints and nothing has been done, she is rude to her baggers and customers r sick of her
Cons:
  • Fire her her name is cathy

Preferred solution: her gone

User's recommendation: don't go to register 5

Elaine Mar

| map-marker Buffalo, New York

Bought a rottiere chicken..had no drumsticks..Whaat? Complained, the girl at the register told me chickens don't have legs..then how do they get around? Moron..went to Prive Chopper..

Ugh...done with this place!!! Rottiere chicken haf no drumsticks..when I complained was told that chickens don't have legs...whhhat? They call them drumsticks..idiot!

User's recommendation: Annoying website to complain..

map-marker Albany, New York

U too the bar carrot cake out and we r all upset why do u ruin a good thing ? The ones u have r horrible!!!

No more delicious bar carrot cake and they were perfect cant find any like and we r tired of looking around we want the name and phone number in Virginia who makes them!!!

User's recommendation: Nothing they know and upset!

Nancy Igp

| map-marker Bucksport, Maine

I am normally a walmart and commissary grocery shopper but after speaking with a friend who is employed at Hannaford and learned how Hannaford is now completing with walmart prices , I gave it a shot at the Brewer Hannaford and was impressed with prices and availability. However upon inquiring with a store employee Jenn regarding availability of a product I was treated rudely as she was condescending and had an attitude that I was putting her out.

I have never been treated so poorly at the competitive stores . Maybe Jenn was having a bad day .

Although impressed with the store I'm not sure that I will return . Normally happy employees reflect ...

Beecher Kgq
map-marker Reseda, California

201 John E. Devine Dr. Manchester, Deli dept

The guy in the deli dept must have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed. The customer in front of me was very polite & the guy behind the counter looked at the guy like he had 3 heads. When it was my turn, he acted like I was putting him out. All I wanted was 2 things, you would think by the way he acted, I asked for 20. Talk about an attitude. Even my friend noticed his behavior. He needs to be retrained or find another job that's more suitable.

User's recommendation: If you come across an employee like that, talk to a manager. They need to know & no your a Karen or a Ken.

About

Summary

Hannaford is an American chain of supermarkets that was founded in 1883. Hannaford provides a wide range of food and medications for all tastes, needs and budgets. If you are a fan of healthy living, if you prefer eating healthy food, Hannaford is the very store you need to visit. Besides affordable prices Hannaford offer a great variety of coupons and gift cards that allow saving money. More than 100 years of experience make Hannaford one of the most popular and reliable food stores in the USA. Everyday millions of customers all over the country come to this store and make purchases.

Hannaford Supermarket reviews and complaints

Hannaford Supermarket is ranked 66 out of 566 in Supermarkets and Malls category

Area Served

USA

Payment Methods

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content
  • PissedConsumer is on the Inc. 5000 list

For more information read Blog article